Also called a natural burial, a green funeral is an environmentally-friendly burial that involves fewer traditional steps in the preparation of the body and in the caring for the dead in order to have as little impact on the earth as possible. Opting for a green burial aids in the reduction of carbon emissions and the conservation of natural resources by necessitating the use of biodegradable and non-toxic materials, which includes shrouds, caskets, and urns.
‘Going green’ may sound like a new concept, however, the process of preparing and burying the body was very similar to what we call a green funeral today.
Below are the main considerations in a green burial:
- The safeguarding of the environment
- The protection of the worker’s health
- The conservation of our natural resources
At Leonard Memorial Funeral Home & Cremations, we understand that many people today are interested in going green and in protecting the environment. Having a green burial for your loved one is a natural way to do just that. We offer our families the opportunity to choose how to celebrate their loved one’s life.
We offer this eco-friendly option for families who wish to leave a smaller carbon footprint than what can be normally achieved. We can arrange for:
- A green burial with or without viewing, which can be followed by a memorial service
- An immediate burial with or without a ceremony or viewing (memorial at a later date optional for the family)